Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Love/Hate Wednesday

LOVE

Thinking about new options.

Read an interesting post on hybrid publishing models (between self-publishing and traditional - read the comments on this one, btw...that's important), which isn't new, but part of the ever-changing face of publishing. I love opportunity and out-of-the-box thinking, so change excites me. That said...


HATE

The uncertainty of the unknown.

There's risk involved with change and out-of-the-box thinking. Not that that will stop me. Heck, I wouldn't be an agent if it did! But I absolutely have to weigh career benefits and big-picture for my authors, too; they aren't Guinea pigs. No author should be.



3 comments:

  1. Wow--interesting article and comments. Since I'm an editor, it seems like I could "hybrid" publish my manuscript myself by hiring freelancers and approaching printers and ebook distributors, but I'd rather wait for editorial and marketing support--even if they are faltering a bit--at least for a first book. I'm also glad to hear, per the comments, a platform isn't necessary for first-time fiction authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say, Bob Mayer is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article and blog post. It seems like so many people write books these days and it's nice to know that there are several ways to get them read. I've learned a lot from this post, thank you very much. If this is post 100 I think it's a good one. It's a topic that's keeping lots of writers awake at night all the time. How to get published and am I good enough. Knowledge about what to do and what not to do is great. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete