Friday, January 4, 2013

Guest Post: Taking the Time to Get it Right

I usually have a dickens of a time coming up with the first post for the new year. Luckily, I'd already written a guest post for Operation Awesome's New Year's Revisions Conference that I am shamelessly going to use to kick off the New Year on my own blog, too:

I’ve written before on why NaNoWriMo isn’t my favorite; it all circles around the impulsiveness that comes from a freshly finished WIP. Definitely, that accomplishment deserves a BIG CONGRATS WITH LOTS OF CONFETTI AND MY AWESOME CAT



'sup girl


But then slow down. Funnel that excitement into your NEXT challenge: revising and polishing until it’s PERFECT.

Why?


Read On!

Happy New Year - cheers to an AMAZING 2013!! (You know, since the world didn't end and all...)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the advice, Natalie. I feel that the writers' mantra is gradually becoming "write and submit" rather than "write, revise until it's fit for submission, submit."

    I'm printing out your advice and pinning it for daily reminding.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have faith that the impulse to publish before prepared is phasing out and writers are become more critical of their own work. We'll learn to become our own gatekeepers.

    PS - please consider turning of word verification in your settings, 2nd attempt now. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this at the conference, and still love it! Thank you for coming to NYRC, Natalie! We'll never know how many authors you saved from a needless rejection or how many agents you saved from however many raw, green manuscript submissions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. These are just beautiful. I would love some of these balloons to use for Christmas gifts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete