Friday, April 1, 2016

Format Changes; Story Lust Remains

I was watching TMNT (2014) with my husband tonight*. And at the end, he said: you know what’s sad? Our son is going to see this and think, man, the older versions SUCK!

And I said: so?

A reader of romance today vs. a reader of Jane Austen of yesterday will not necessarily like it the same; and yet that doesn’t discount either of the books. It doesn’t discount them in the same way that Homeric tales passed around a fire are no less valid than TMNT (2014).

People fear change in publishing; when I tell people what I do, they say…oh. And…what will you do when books go away?

Books won’t go away. The format may change. But stories will always remain. That is publishing. That is the world I’m in.


And if my son connects to it in a different way than I did, I don’t care. Because he’s connecting. And that is what matters.

That is why as an agent, I embrace change and challenge. 



*on our first date, I picked Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to watch. I still think that was the moment that sealed the deal for us. :)

1 comment:

  1. Stories are in our lifeblood. The more ways we find to tell them, the richer our culture will be.
    Also I think TMNT as a bonding agent is a very smart love test. All the best!

    ReplyDelete